Friday, March 4, 2011

Not Spring Yet but I Can See It From Here

It was a beautiful sunshine day. The snow is melting at just the right rate or so it seems to me. We are expecting snow again the first of next week. The water levels are already at 130% of average in some areas. This is good news. I am ready to start planning for a small garden this year. I am in a new area and have not attempted a garden here. There may be more shade than is optimal for tomatoes and peppers. I may end up with a container garden on the deck to be able to have enough sunlight for long enough to actually grow my produce. I have this urge to get back to basics and there is nothing like growing food to help us do that. The taste of fresh tomatoes, peas, corn and bell peppers is amazing. If you only have a small space you can still have the experience by growing cherry tomatoes in a flower planter. You can grow lettuce and peppers in a small planter as well. If you start soon enough you can start your plants from seed in the house. There are kits at your local stores to help you get started. If you don't want to start out from *square one* there are always starter plants at your local home and garden stores or grocery stores.
If you are absolutely unable to grow your own garden, try to find a Farmer's Market. Usually at city parks once a week, a wonderful community experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment