Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Folk Hero or Not ?

The first day of March and I have committed to posting every day for 1 month (31 days worth!). A monumental undertaking for an habitual procrastinator.

So, have you been following the DeChristopher saga? In a nut shell, he is the guy who bid up oil drilling leases with no intention of actually purchasing said leases and certainly no intention of drilling. This fellow is being proclaimed by some, according to the Salt Lake Trib. as being a *folk hero* in the tradition of Edward Abbey's the Monkey Wrench Gang. Now granted, it has been over a decade or two since I read the book , (guess I will have to find my copy and do some comparing) but if memory serves, I don't know that I would make the comparison.
Tim DeChristopher could be facing a 10 year jail sentence and he says it would be worth it to keep drilling out of the Moab area, however with 3 attorneys and 300 protesters, it looks like he is fighting hard to stay out of jail and may or may not win that battle.
I believe we, as citizens of this planet have a fundamental responsibility to be good stewards of said planet but on the other hand I feel that it is not in the best interest of the United States to be at the mercy of foreign entities for our fuel sources. Side note: isn't it just as irresponsible to deplete and destroy another countries lands - even if they are sand dunes?
I will be reading the Salt Lake Tribune and also re-reading *the Gang* and trying to sort out some thoughts -I'll get back to you on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment